Thursday, January 10, 2013

Coming along...

More pics of my cross bike, this one is gonna be good!
Seat tube sleeve, Top tube, dry fit in the jig.
yeah! all dry fit together
This is the first bike that I have completely mitered before brazing tubes together, and I'm not sure why I haven't done it in the past. The down tube has been a hassle on past frames as I brazed BB to ST to TT to HT before mitering the DT. This way though, I can switch out the seat tube and down tube to get that miter real dialed in.
The drawing (4th try's a charm) - and a real protractor helps.
Why does that look so funny you ask? Because I have crazy long legs and a really short torso. Also, I don't like how spread out I get with drop bars, or drop bars.
They're the same!!
I also used a full scale drawing for the first time on this frame. It worked out really, really well. Since I don't have any real CAD programs it's sort of hard to get all of the numbers I need, but this gave me something to check each tube against while building. As you can see, the frame is as I intended, and I'm very happy about that.

Here'a a picture of a dropout/chain stay pre-braze. I thought it looked nice.

Chainstay miter needs a little adjusting, but that DT/ST joint looks good.
So, I have the front triangle tacked up. Tomorrow I'm going to take it to school and hopefully get to check out the alignment on a surface plate (really, really perfectly flat chink of granite). I'm vizualising some brazing now, hoping I can get these to turn out real pretty.

Thats all for now, I'll post more when I have a whole frame!
-Adam

1 comment:

  1. Great post and so interesting. Glad I stopped by, and continued good luck with the blog hop!
    Accounts Software For Small Business
    Simran Kaur

    ReplyDelete